November 10, 2007

And the Soirée was a success!

Dimples's birthday party was lovely. Exhausting, even for me as a lowly guest, but lovely. Dimples behaved quite well in her role as the Party Girl, not getting grizzly until we were leaving at 6 o'clock, which is right near her bed time.

Madness, however, decided the scream the house down every time I didn't have a bit of cake for him in my hand. It didn't matter if I'd just put cake in his mouth, either, I had to have the next piece prepped and ready to go while also putting cake in his mouth, cringing at the crumbs all over the carpet spread by screaming babies with mouths full of cake, holding the plate and trying to drink my cup of coffee.

Mini-M has always been a Very Good Boy. He slept through the night while we were still in the hospital, and has ever since unless something is wrong. He doesn't cry when he falls over, even if he smacks his head. He didn't even blink when he dropped a model car on his foot last week. And that thing was heavy.

Apparently, all this wonderful, easygoing behaviour disappears out the window when cake enters the equation. So very obviously his mother's child. I am now, officially, both excited about and dreading Madness' own birthday party this coming Friday. Hopefully, everyone will be intact by the time I'm done.

Fun tip: Wear invisible earplugs to your in-laws' house.

Serious tip: No, really, wear invisible earplugs to your in-laws' house.

3 comments:

L'ex-pat said...

Hahahaha. I think that cake is one of the lesser vices, really. I love your advice. I don't have children, but having been an au pair I can appreciate the impossibility of having anything to yourself when little'un is around, and the joy of nap time.

Sara said...

Mmmm...cake. I mean, he's been on baby food for so long, do you really BLAME him for getting excited about cake?

Oooh, invisible earplugs--think I can get away with those even if I don't have any kids?

Anonymous said...

Well said.