November 24, 2007

Checkups and walking and... and... and...

Madness had his one year check up this week. I always come out of the doctor's feeling like a wonderful mother. Like my mothering skills are reflected in Madness' ability to walk stable-like on his podgey little legs, or the fact that he can hear. It's a very strange phenomenen in that these things have absolutely nothing to do with me.

He is, by his very nature, a happy, funny little boy so I can't even really take the credit for that either. Big M and I are both clowns, so even that's in his blood. I am not a vain girl by nature, but when it comes to Madness, and being his mother, yeah, it's all about me!

His vital signs are spectacular. He's growing like a weed. His height is well above the 97 per centile curve, meaning he'll be taller than both his parents when he starts school, aged 6. But his weight is right in line with his height, so he's not chubby apart from the normal babyness.

Alas, the doctor gave us a saline solution to clear up his blocked nose, so we've been pumping an ocean of that up there. He seems to quite like it, judging by the lip smacking that goes on.

My ear hurts today. According to one of the guys at work, I keep getting sick because of playgroup, but if I just wait it out, I will soon have an immune system strong enough to kill small mammals in the backyard. This sounds delightful, apart from the fact that we don't have a backyard and I would have to kill the squirrels and birds on our balcony (my, that made me sound like Disney's Cinderella) that come to visit.

Fun tip: Go to as many playgroups as possible, to build up that immune system of steel. Then, go out into the backyard for some target practice.

Serious tip:
If you are bone-deep tired, grumpy, really irritable, crying irrationally, getting uncontrollably emotional, and your baby is more than 8 weeks old, you may have Post-Natal Depression (as opposed to the "baby blues" which is a stupid term, if you ask me). There is nothing wrong with recognising the signs and seeking help for this very serious condition. It does not make you weak, or a bad mother, if you suffer from PND. And your post-natal health care professional can help you.

No comments: